Thread: Over heating

Default Over heating

Hi All,

This is just a story - with a good ending in my eyes.

A few weeks ago I was driving my MY15 Octavia RS wagon, when suddenly the temp gauge shot up (not into the red, but very close) and a warning came up on the dash "Warning - engine over heating".

I immediately stopped and turned the car off. I popped the bonnet and could not see anything amiss. The coolant level was okay, I could not see any coolant leaks or oil leaks. I checked the fuses - to make sure that the fans could operate, everything was okay. I checked the radiator - to make sure that nothing (like rubbish) was blocking it. I put my head under the car, and could not see anything wrong.

I very tentatively started the car - no warnings, temp was normal. I checked the vehicle status - everything was clear... Hmmm.

I turned around and headed home. On the way home I noticed that the temp would move from normal (12 noon) to about 2pm (below the red, but the car had NEVER done this before).

I live about 70km from the nearest dealer, so I took it to the local mechanic and asked him to have a look at it. I didn't want to run the risk of driving it 70km, in traffic, and something going wrong.

The local mechanic had a good look at it and said:"Come down and have a look at it - there is a weep on a plastic pipe in the cooling system. I rekon that air is getting in the system, hence you are seeing the temp going up and down"

I went and had a look and there was a tiny weep. The mechanic agreed with me and said:"I wouldn't risk driving it to the dealer. Is it still under warranty?"

Lucky for me it was - although the car only had 2 weeks left on the warranty! Eeek.

Skoda had the car for a week, and replaced the (plastic) water pump under warranty. Which is a brilliant result.

The Skoda dealer did ask:"Do you use this car as an Uber driver?" I answered honestly "Nope - why?".. The dealer said: "If you do, then it wouldn't be covered under warranty."

It's a MY2015 (purchased in November 2015) and has just ticked over 185,000 km... I have barely driven it over the last 6 months as I live in Victoria...

Cheers,
    GG.

Thanks

yeah, good story and outcome mate. Strange about the Uber. I'm sure it's to do with the kays that are on the car... Sounds like it's used a lot!