Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellites missing

Default Satellites missing

Hi, I may be going over old ground but please bear with me I have just updated my Columbus sat nav Maps [ 2011 Octavia TDI ] and that was successful according to the system but it is still telling me I'm somewhere north of Newcastle when I check with the split screen view on GPS viewer it tells me I have 0 of 12 satellites which is why it's confused where I am I guess. Do I have to go there and get the damn thing to recognise where it is and find some connections?

Anyone have any idea why or how I may fix it ? is it maybe a software update rather than Nav system? I haven't tried to download software yet as I will need a bigger SD card than I currently have.

Don't desperately need it just something vaguely annoying as the rest of the system can't be faulted in any way which is why I'm not stressing about this [hopefully] minor thing.

Any help \ suggestions gratefully accepted
    Regards Craig

Thanks

Did the satellites come up prior to upgrading the maps?

If was the same before, then the maps won't/were not going to help.

It might be that you have a disconnected/break in the cable in the back of the unit so it's not getting the readings... Do you have access to vagcom/vcds or other system that can scan for errors?

Hi jnrdavo, No not working before the new maps and my youngest can't remember when it stopped working as he always just used his phone and bluetoothed everything anyway i'm a little more old fashioned is all. Hell it could even go back to when he had the Subwoofer installed in the boot - they did a good job but may have left a sat nav connection off ?? - I've removed and capped the cables and taken the huge box out BTW.
    No access to the Diagnostics but do have a bluetooth OBD 2 plug from my Alfa owner days so may try that 1 day soon - it should work I think with something android like Torque or Carscanner for my tablet or phone.
    Meanwhile between lockdowns and usually having the missus in the handbrake seat to read the phone maps as I said not too fussed just be nice to fix. If I can find all the bits I may even get time to spare to reverse the pod filter fitting I helped him do.

Just an update to previous, I've been thinking [Dangerous] and researching more and tried a reset to factory of just the Navigation side and it has had an effect - not fully fixed and still not hooking up to satellites but the number changes now sometimes 9 or 11. Also it now has me at least on the Central Coast near where I am so progress of a kind.

Thanks

yeah, that is a good start. If you can't get satellites, then you won't get proper (any!) map readings...

Yep that's what I was thinking, still not consistant but works when it feels like it, no biggie as everything else is A1 eg just loaded up the hard drive with hours of my music. Have found my old ELM 327 unit so will try it soon and see if it works with Torque light to show anything of interest.

Thanks

good idea. The ELM might or might not work. I've got a similar unit and use torque pro for errors. Didn't show anything as errors, but when when I plugged in VCDS, it did.... so I don't think torque p goes as deep as vcds...

Thanks for the info jnrdavo, I hooked up the ELM and it did connect and show up on Torque lite but haven't had opportunity to have a good look with it, I'm thinking I may have to find someone with VCDS. This is what i'm getting most of the time so if that gives anyone a clue please let me know.thumbnail_IMG-0253.jpg As said previously satnav would be nice but not a reason to spend $$$ cause it's a great stereo as is. My wife always tells me where to go anyway

Thanks

Ok, general consensus on the internet is that it's a faulty gps aerial.

It looks like you can get the part number for the shark fin one as it seems to 'leak' on a few cars and corrodes. Or, you can get a cheap one of fleebay or amazon and just put in on/in your dash somewhere..

If that doesn't work, then it's the board on the unit that is faulty and needs replacement.

finally, you can also swap out to an Android unit (which will come with gps aerial).. I put in one of these in my 200 S3 and it works well.
    Buy Skoda Octavia Android Car Stereo | Xtrons

Thanks jnrdavo, that's the way I was leaning too so basically unless the rest of the unit starts playing up I will probably just leave it and enjoy the wagon lifestyle If I can get in via the top vents so as not to have to remove the dash \ stereo to do it I may try a replacement " hockey puck" style the VW forums all talk about. If it's not an issue that causes more problems I have often over the years just called it "character" or idiosyncrasy and left it alone.