Thread: Skoda Scout 135TDi

Thanks

Default Skoda Scout 135TDi

After 2 decades of being a Mitsubishi Magna driver (TN, TP and TJ) I have defected to Czechoslovakia . Picked up an ex-Demo Scout 135TDi with 50km on the odo from Seaford Skoda (VIC) in June and I'm in love! After run-in I decided I needed to get to know its limits, so met up with my brother in his Golf R at Thornton and headed for the Eildon-Jamieson road. For anybody not familiar with this awesome strip of bitumen, it's about an hour of endless tight twists and turns over a couple of mountain ranges, with a few straights in the middle, and 100kph from end to end so there's plenty of room to play without breaking any rules. There's a good chance of seeing no other cars from end to end, those you do see are generally also having a bit of fun!

My bro thought it best that I go in front to start with, being concerned that I might push the Scout too hard trying to keep up with the R. Well, I dropped the DSG into S mode and gave it the beans. After 20 minutes or so we came to a pull-over space, so I pulled in to see if the Golf was itching to release the hounds... turns out he was working damn hard to stay on the Skoda's tail! Those 380Nms of torque give the Scout an incredible acceleration out of the corners, and even with the taller stance it's just so agile and settled on the road. Anyway, we switched places and fanged it to Jamieson, and the R never got more than a corner ahead. And after a bit of lunch at the Kevington Hilton we headed back.

I can't express how impressed I am with the 135Kw diesel. The fact that the Scout wasn't embarrassed by the Golf R, itself an incredible machine, is IMO the biggest accolade I can give it. I haven't had the pleasure of driving the RS, all I can say is considering the performance of the Scout it must be impressive indeed

Thanks

very very nice! I miss my wagon so much (got a coupe now).... Might be time to get another set of 'tougher' pads for your car, especially if you are in to 'spirited' dives

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    very very nice! I miss my wagon so much (got a coupe now).... Might be time to get another set of 'tougher' pads for your car, especially if you are in to 'spirited' dives
    Yeah, one thing I've noticed is less engine braking than I would have expected from a diesel/DSG combination, meaning more time on the anchors. Presumably it's due to the downshift algorithm, admittedly I haven't spent much time manually cog-swapping which may reveal the expected compression braking. Anyhoo, I'll keep an eye on the pads, thanks for the tip

EDIT: Also, yes, I feel your pain re the wagon missing from your life. Once you've gone wagon nothing else feels quite right